Dear Friends of SGCPC,
Thank you for your interest and support of the Sparks Glencoe Community Planning Council! Without your support, the work we do would not be possible. Our all-volunteer board continues to advocate for the preservation of the rural quality and character of Northern Baltimore County. As we reflect on 2023, here are some key highlights:
- Open monthly meetings with relevant speakers & community topics
- Annual Candidate Forum (Hereford Library)
- Local Historian on Northern BaCo
- Future Harvest and Farmer Programs
- Gunpowder Entomology and Water Quality
- DNR and the Great American Outdoors Act
- MD Dept. of Environment’s 5 Million Tree initiative
- Kollar Nurseries and Adaptive Gardening
- He’ui Apiaries: Planting & Pollinators
- Community Outreach at the Hereford Farm Market
- Collaboration on important issues with local orgs: Valleys Planning Council, North County Community Group, The Manor Conservancy, Gunpowder Valley Conservancy, BaCo Community Improvement Grants
- Watchful eye on incoming solar panel requests on prime and productive land
- Monitoring numerous review and community meetings on special exceptions & variances
For 2024, the Comprehensive Zoning Map Process (CZMP) is once again upon us. The process occurs every four years and allows any citizen (individual, contract purchaser, community organization, County Councilman) to request a zoning change on any property in the County. Our organization is reviewing the log of issues with a focus on requests for upzoning. We will be meeting with Councilman Wade Kach to share our concerns and positions, and a summary of issues can be found here: District 3 CZMP log.
Please consider an end of year contribution! With your support and donations, we maintain our efforts to encourage preservation and advocate for responsible community planning to maintain the rural character of the area. Donations can be made through our secure website: Make an end-of-year gift! or mailed check to: SGCPC PO Box 937 Sparks, MD 21152. We are a 501 (c)(3) tax-exempt organization, and your contribution is tax-deductible including matching donations from employers and businesses (Tax ID# 20-3888970). We also welcome volunteers to join us, get involved and lend support!
On behalf of the Board of SGCPC, we extend our heartfelt gratitude for your support and generosity: you are an important reason for the environmental integrity of Northern Baltimore County.